10 x 90 minute group sessions taking place every week
Interactive live video format, including demonstrations, exercises and discussions
Exploring a different topic every week, from both practical and philosophical perspective
Every session concludes with a Q&A and opportunity for participation
Online Mentorship Programme: Introduction/ Meet&Greet [30th September; 18:00 CET]
- Improvisation is to listen; what is listening?
- Sebastian's approach to improvisation
- Similarities between improvisation and meditation.
- Improvisation; the creative expression
- Improvisation; openness and awareness
- The importance of improvisation - healing and acceptance
- Different improvisation exercises
- Improvisation with Circle of Live
- Let improvisation flow into your general life; Is improvisation our natural expression?
- Hardware set up, cabling and workflow
- Software set up and configuration
- Analog synths, drum modules and drum machines
- Effect units and Pedals
- Hardware vs. Software
- Preamps and Converters
- “Real“ instruments
- Some thoughts about monitors and acoustics
Improvisation as the core of Sebastian's approach to music, a philosophical introduction to the concept and its importance to tapping into your creativity.
We look at improvisation & creativity as something innate within human nature:
Frank will talk you through his studio set up, what decisions lead him to his current set up. Specific talk about several topics such as cabling, workflow, software and hardware and “real instruments” and acoustics.
Session 1 Description
LIVE - Group session [7th October; 18:00 CET] - Improvisation
Your Feedback: Session 1
- Improvising alone vs with others
- Openness / inspire & get inspired
- Different collaborations / unlocking different things.
- Invite / sharing your ideas
- Temporary roles
- Non violent communication
- How to start creating a song
- How to start a remix
- Some tricks I use
- Finding ideas through experimenting
- Recording a good signal
- Jamming in the studio
The topic of improvisation naturally leads to the idea of collaborations, their role in the creative process (and of improvisation), listening and paying attention to other artists.
Frank will discuss the different mechanisms (pre-sets, tools, tricks) that he uses to help him improvise, capture valuable moments, condense the material, arrange his ideas, and finishing a song.
Session 2 Description
LIVE - Group session [14th October; 18:00 CET] - Collaborations
Your Feedback: Session 2
- Different meditation techniques and exercises.
- Daily practice / retreat
- Meditation - non state
- Reminding, not teaching. presence is not something you learn, it's you!
- The natural expression of the wild
- Just be in nature, no activity.
- Different exercises in nature.
- Planning a live set and initial thoughts
- What equipment I use and why I choose it
- Bringing your own gear vs. renting
- Centerpieces: Computer and Mixing desk
- My workflow on stage
- About travelling with gear
Discover how reconnecting with nature and meditation can be used as tools to unlock your own creativity.
In the first session of the second week. Frank will lead you through his live-set-up. When you have watched this video, he will go into further details on the set-up, introduce you to his workflow on stage and answer further questions you may have.
Session 3 Description
LIVE - Group session [21st October; 18:00 CET] - Nature & Meditation
Your Feedback: Session 3
- Software set up and configuration
- Hardware configuration
- Tape Machine (and why would you consider using it?)
- Midi controllers / control surface
- Issues of noise and hum, how to avoid and how to live with it
- Stomp boxes and pedal trains
- Song selection
- How i create a live version of a song
- Jamming and improvisation
- Reacting on problems, dropouts etc
- Attaching to the room and audience
- Respecting the people playing with you
Sebastian will talk through his studio set up, what decisions lead him to his current set up and his advice. Specific talk about several topics such as Software, Hardware, Soundcards etc.
In the second part of Frank’s introduction to his live-set, he will share more of his experiences on stage. He will give you background information on his approaches and solving issues on stage
Session 4 Description
LIVE - Group session [4th November; 18:00 CET] - Studio set up
Your Feedback: Session 4
- Express and write without a specific purpose
- What is your intention with making music? Allow that intension, don’t work against it
- Meditation as a tool, why does it help your studio work?
- Spend time with an instrument without recording, just for the pleasure of playing/feeling music.
- Different angles to approach the expression. Layering / free improvisation / arranging / looping /
- Use your feelings as a starting point
- Define your temporary frame and express from that
- Accept yourself, honour yourself, allow all feelings also the ones that are harder to accept
- Opening up for making music with others
- The importance of listening
- Studio collaborations
- Collaborations on stage
- About touring with a band
With improvisation as a technical aspect, Sebastian will discuss the different mechanisms (pre-sets, tools, tricks) that he uses to help him maintain a clear mind and therefore more open to the flow of creativity.
Touring as a solo-act is one part of Frank. However the integral part of collaboration has been present and vital to Frank also before his electronic music career. He will introduce to the different forms and aspects of his collaborations and how you can grow / develop through these team efforts.
Session 5 Description
LIVE - Group session [11th November; 18:00 CET] - Finding creativity in the studio
Your Feedback: Session 5
- What software synths and plug ins
- Midi controllers & control surfaces
- My template
- Push & Midi looping
- Building a team
- Treating people
- My way
- Motivation and goals
- My way / your way
- Push & Midi looping
Sebastian will talk you through the various software programmes he uses, plugins and software synths (and why).
In this last episode Frank will give you an insight of how his story went so far. Here you will learn about his thoughts on communicating and relations, mistakes and decisions.
Session 6 Description
LIVE- Group Session [18th November; 18:00 CET] - Sebastian's live set up/ Software
Your Feedback: Session 6
- Midi interface
- Midi keyboard
- Outboard effects
- Signal mergers
- Bags and travel recommendations (to protect your gear on the road)
In this second module focusing on playing live, Sebastian will follow up on the topic by discussing the hardware aspect of his live set up and help you with any doubts or questions you may have to build your own.
Session 7 Description
LIVE- Group Session [25th November; 18:00 CET] - Sebastian's live set up/ Software
Your Feedback: Session 7
- Your live set up is your trampoline and your parachute
- Your presence is your inner trampoline and parachute
- What are your intentions for playing live? Recognise them and honour them.
- Do it! Learn by doing and accepting ”failure”
- Technical rider and advancing
- Renting equipment VS bring everything yourself
- Pre-connected vs connect on sound check
- Having a tour manager (or do I need one?)
- Cases, bags etc.
- Rest & meditation
Sebastian will share his tricks about finding peace and presence on stage. These include pragmatic solutions to finding your creative flow, and a more holistic approach to touring (for e.g. monitoring and sleep).
Practical things to think about:
Session 8 Description
LIVE - Group session [2nd December; 18:00 CET] - Finding creativity on stage
Your Feedback: Session 8
- Looping / improvisation / meditation
- Looping in the studio
- Boss RC-505
- Midi looping with Push
- Duo Looping
- Sketches built on 12 sounds
- How to record sketches from scratch
- How to make a sketch from an existing song/track of your own
Sebastian uses freestyle live looping as well as prepared sketches, both when he plays live and when he improvises in the studio. This episode gives a deeper insight into these two approaches and in what way you can combine them for better creative flow.
Session 9 Description
LIVE - Group session [9th December; 18:00 CET] - Live Looping and Sketches
Your Feedback: Session 9
- Working with a team VS doing everything yourself
- Your voice and intentions
- Allowing a creative flow within the team
- Establish ways of communication / Non Violent communication
- Booking Agent / Subagent
- Record Label
- Publicist / Press agent
- Social media manager
- Tour manager
As a final chapter, we will look at the misconception there is around having a team for underground electronic music artists. The importance of finding the right people to work with, who share your values and can cultivate their knowledge to bring your creative ideas to fruition.
Session 10 Description
LIVE - Group session [16th December; 18:00 CET] - Building the right team
Your Feedback: Session 10
Will you be sharing the session recordings with participants?
No, we are not sending recordings to participants after the sessions. The intention is to practice presence, and experience the course in the moment, focusing on improvisation and real-time feedback. One-on-one sessions will be recorded however and shared.
What if I cannot make it to a session?
This can happen, such as in real life things sometimes come up. We look at this case by case, if someone has considerable changes in their schedule and is absent to more than 1-2 sessions then we speak directly to the student about the possibilities.
Is the course in English?
Yes, the course is in English.
What do I need to set up for the course?
The sessions are hosted on Zoom. Once you have signed up to the course it will appear in your student dashboard, there you can access the links every week. You do not need to have a Zoom account to access this link on your browser, however to use it on Desktop you will need to create an account (free).